• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

SOLD airplane 6 months ago and buyer is calling...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Himark

Reaction score
Not sure where this is going...reason for post.

Backstory,

I purchased a 1972 Cherokee 140/160 from a broker in January of 2020. (VERY NICE CLEAN LOW TiME) 3000TT 600ish SMOH but had been out of annual for 4-5 years prior to me purchasing. The broker had sold it to me after the fresh annual and AD's were up to date. (according to logs)
I used the airplane for 4 months and got my PP. I than moved up to a faster airplane and sold this one. Being that was my first airplane I really had no interest in making any money on it so I listed it for what I had in it. A nicely equipped basic VFR with GPS aircraft newer interior and paint for 34k. MY phone blew up!! I had full price offers in minutes. The guy that bought it said..."I want to be first on the list so I am offering you full price for it and waiving any prebuy inspections after I have my mechanic review logs"

This is how it was sold in writing. The buyer is a very nice genuine person and I delivered the aircraft to him per the agreement.

Now the annual, They find that one AD was not complied with per the brokers sign off that it had all AD's done. Inspection of the crank for corrosion in the barrel. Several mechanics have told me that it can be just cleaned off and measured and if within specs all good. The owner wants a new motor and is asking me for the contact info for the broker... WHich I have nothing to hide so complied.

I am not sure if I am at any risk here or not? ( I don't think so??) I only sold the airplane the same way as I purchased it and had no other reason to question it. I put 50-60 hours on it. I did do my check ride in it and my local mechanic looked over the AD list and found 3 not complied with so he did do those 3 ( to make sure we showed the DPE). We would of had no reason to do more than the list that was signed off at the time.

At the end of the day the buyer has told me he does not hold me responsible and we are on good terms..however, I hate to see the buyer get stuck to. I guess my question for the group is how is this likely to turn out?

Latest posts

Back