• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Buying and Selling Aircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Oh man... Hope this doesn't start a fire. Quick rant.

For me, it's real simple. Who I'm dealing with is just as important as what I'm dealing on. No matter if I'm buying or selling.

I just sold my Cherokee 180. And some things that happened to me, during the sale process, and what had happened to the eventual buyer prior to him buying my airplane got me thinking.

As buyers have we all become so self consumed with our own opinions that we no longer listen to a seller? Are we blind to trust anyone with a mechanics certificate and an IA to tell us what is ok to buy?(After all, it's just a man's opinion) Each has the same qualifications, yet no two will formulate the same conclusions..

Sure, there are some jerk sellers out there, ready to fill you up with irrelevant information. Desperately trying to offload an aircraft that they can either no longer afford, or has some issue that makes the aircraft un-airworthy, or too expensive for them to repair. But there are just as many honest sellers either getting out, or moving on to a different airplane.
There are also as many A+P/I-A's ready to take thousands of a buyers cash for 2 minutes of telephone information.(this happened to the guy who bought my airplane) As there are good honest ones.

On the buying side, I bought both of my aircraft, with not much other than a "thanks and here's the keys" 😂. On the selling side, I did not want to be that guy. So I provided as much clarity and information as I possibly could, and full tanks to boot. Buyer was very happy, and I was happy my little bird went to someone I know will care for it.

Couple thoughts.....
As a buyer, be honest with yourself. If the purchase price is a real stretch, you probably shouldn't buy it. Things always come up, and pre-buy inspection is not a magic 8 ball.

As a seller. Treat a buyer with the same respect that you would want from a seller. Not with the same respect that a seller treated you. Don't market an aircraft as ready to fly... unless you'd fly it yourself.

Be a beacon for others.

Latest posts

Back