• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Saratoga RPM fluctuations after prop overhaul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I own a 1981 PA32R-301T Saratoga with a TIO-540 engine and 3-blade prop. I recently had a full engine teardown and prop overhaul after a line guy backed a tug into my prop at my local field. Thankfully the FBO has taken full accountability and the prop and engine were both sent out for inspection. The prop was overhauled and no major issues were found. The engine was also sent to Signature who did the last overhaul and they did a full teardown inspection and didn't find anything major. The engine only has about 300 hours SMOH and was not overhauled as part of this incident.

Now that the engine is put back together I am seeing RPM fluctuations of about +/- 15RPM at cruise power. I see this in slight variations on the mechanical tach but also on my JPI. I have downloaded JPI data but can't link it but if you are interested in seeing and willing to give me some feedback send me your info and I can email them. The flight just prior to teardown in my data at cruise RPM at 2400 I see very little variation. 2-3 RPM max and very stable. This past weekend I'm seeing the much larger variation of 2385-2415. The JPI is only 6 second interval sampling but the actual variation is constant. I don't really feel or hear any variations in power but because the mechanical tach is varying I don't believe the readings are erroneous.

I spoke to my shop about this and they checked with the prop shop and they are telling me that this could be a break-in symptom since the prop has been overhauled and how they setup the prop governor tightness. They don't seem to be worried and told me to keep an eye on it. I have about 4 hours since the prop overhaul and teardown. I'm just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this and if I should be concerned?

Latest posts

Back