• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine Overhaul Test Unable to Perform

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had my engine overhauled in 2023 (Piper PA28-140b 1969). The engine and prop during overhaul had STC to160hp. The overhaul was completed in September. Due to unforeseen circumstances and some health issues, I have not been able to fly the airplane (unable to do the recommended power setting tests). Last month I was able to run the engine and completed some high spend runs down the runway. I hope to fly the airplane soon.

I am concerned with the new seals not being seated by not flying as well as not doing the recommended power settings while airborne. Has anyone had issues when they received their airplane back from an overhaul and were not able to fly the airplane over an extended period of time to break in the overhauled engine? Any information or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

* The flight procedures provided by the company which completed the overhaul: Involves a normal take off, cruise at around 5,000 ft MSL and power settings at 75% power for the first hour, then changing between 65-75% for the second hour. If all indications are normal, the final 30 minutes are to be done at full throttle.

Latest posts

Back