• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Need help - IRAN or Overhaul?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was accomplishing some maintenance work a few days ago with a friend and he noticed a possible crack on my O-320 crank case near the #2 cylinder. We did a DyePen test on it that showed a clear crack. After doing a bit of research and contacting companies I landed on the following facts. Given y’all are more experienced, what would y’all do in my situation?

Engine: 855 SMOH, 7939hrs on the engine since new. Three total overhauls, 1986, 2001, 2020. The OH in 1986 had the crank case sent to DivCo to have work done, as evidenced by a stamp on the top. All borescopes, compression tests, and oil analysis have been great for at least the last 250hrs (no making metal).

- Labor: I am planning on removing and installing the engine myself with an a&p buddy so consider labor negligible.

- IRAN: crank case repair from DivCo is about $1500-2000, and a few companies are quoting $10-12k to do the engine tear down test and put back together. So total of $12-14k. If my crank case is not usable, another one is about $5k.

-Overhaul: this option is well covered on this and other forums, but everything is in line with standard prices and timelines. Generally $25-30k is expected.

- lastly, I will install an engine monitor when we put it back on.

Thank you graciously for any time spent helping figure out what to do. It’s a little vague to see which way folks land and why.

Attachments

• IMG_4113.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4112.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4127.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back