• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

New overhaul J & B in Flo, PA32RT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertthoyer

CAPT BOB, RET DELTA/NAVY CFII MULTI AND SINGLE
Reaction score
We’ll report on first flight after engine rebuild with new continental n2 cylinders. By J and B engine Sebring FL. What separates them from rest is fly in ur aircraft is position in hanger for the entire time roughly 2 months. One mechanic is assign ur aircraft and engine for entire time. This is second engine rebuild with them 500$ discount loyal customer return. My first was archer still doing great 400 hrs ago. This one is my 79 pa32RT normal aspiration. Since Continental bought their completion ECI and technology they have nickel coating down. Advantages easy break in and low chance of rust due to min flying! Much better warranty , 1550/cyl. These are angle valve for 540 eng. only lyc and cont. make these cyl. In July Lyc raise their price from 1600 to 2200$
Base price very reasonable 36000$. With very good warranty . New everything except crank which was refinished. And case halves which refinished by DIVI.
J and B do about 60 to 75 engines a year.
I showed up at 0800 got test flight they installed the engine and did ground run changed oil and filter . I crank up and never stop full power with was very noticeable on take off. I had flown the engine 300 hrs over recommended overhaul. 4333 hrs smoh . Wide open thank goodness it was smooth 2500 ft orbit over airport pushing 165 kts indicated which was in yellow. The temps and oil pressure was great left mix in showing 25 gph. CHT stay 365 to 380 degrees . Below 400 degrees. This is my fourth breakin flt with various aircraft two other Cherokee six’s. Anyways first time CHT stay low. Most of the time they are pushing the limit at 450 degrees! Wait until they drop for breakin. And when oil consumption stabilizes. Usually after 10 to 15 hrs. 35 min later I landed keeping power up as best I could. Taxi in. My assigned Mech was there to meet me pull cowling and check no leaks and good to go engine all shiny new baffling etc eng mounts the eng tends to sag after 1500 to 200 hrs as the rubber cushions wear out. Piper position the eng 3 degrees off center to the right to negate P factor and aid in rudder for takeoff. Anyways I noticed I really needed more rt rudder on takeoff due to inc power. Wind was zero.
After saying goodbye I took off leaving Fl before noon storms came in. Past Tallahassee I cut over north Crestview toward Hattesburg, MS. For fuel stop.
I was using the new Real Plan program that IFly GPS has produced.
It really is nice u put in the parameters such as avoids class airspace, wx with three intensities lvl, same for water, terrain, best winds aloft, best fuel prices and let it work in couple of minutes draws a route with way points. After refueling in hattestburg I had wx from storm came in to Houston pushing north. The next rad showed lines of thunderstorms south to north so about Louisiana border I had to turn north about Shreveport there was a break I vcould get through. I stay atv4k ft one because much smoother then above and u could never get over this stuff from pilot reports and more importantly me engine needed to be at least 70 to 75 % power which required staying below 5000 ft. Ended up picking up IFR clearance due to flying in clouds. Stayed that way for next two hrs shooting an approach into nearby 10 mile from my ranch strip. TA76. Get down below cloud level and then fly to my ranch. Needless to say engine performed great used 1 qt of oil. No leaks and lots of fuel burn for first 5 to 6 hrs. Most fuel with leaning is about 13 to 15 gph. 55% per to 65% pwr. Temps at cruise was 360 to 375 degrees with fuel flow 20 gph. As cylinders breakin the temp should drop for pwr required and then leaning with much lower fuel flow!
If u are in need of overhaul I recommend call jimmy at J and B engines. Father son operation been in business many years top ten overhaulers with lowest price.

Latest posts

Back