• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Parts remaining from my panel upgrade

RNC

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I was able to get rid of quite a bit but here are the remaining parts from my panel upgrade.

Before I let the shop list them on their dealer network, I figured I would give the rest of them one more shot here...

Everything here has approximately 600 hours on it, the TTAF on the airplane was 613 when I bought it, and it was all factory original stuff.

Everything will be sent out tagged "working when removed", and guaranteed in working order.

This is coming out of a 28v airplane. Ensure any electronic items will work with your electrical system.

Prices: Generally, what I've been doing is finding an ebay or similar sale, and subtracting 15% since I'm avoiding fees this way. Find out what it's worth, link it to me and knock a bit off and you probably have a deal ;).

• King KLN90B GPS + antenna (database NOT current, will need an update)
  • King KI208 CDI
  • King KT76A transponder (can include a like-new (used under 10 hours) encoder if needed)
  • King KR87 ADF + indicator (can include antenna if needed)
  • Hoskins FT-101A fuel flow/totalizer
  • Astro-Tech LC2 clock
  • King KX155 nav/comm
  • STEC 55 Alt-Preselect unit
  • Flightcom 403 clearance recorder/intercom
  • Davtron M475VA volt/amp meter
  • Insight 600 series 6 cylinder GEM with turbo intake
  • United Instruments 7000 VSI

Cosmetically all items are in "very good" condition. See following pics of the original panel for reference...

http://airplane.nbfl.net/N595TC/InteriorPics/DSC01553wtmk.JPG
http://airplane.nbfl.net/N595TC/InteriorPics/DSC01554wtmk.JPG

Last edited:

PaulR

Reaction score
RNC

What did you install for the ap to replace the Stec-55? Awesome new Commander panel by the way and great looking with the three Aspen family on the panel and looking forward to a PIREP on the Aspen and the rest of your avionics upgrades to the aircraft.

RNC

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't replace it, I decided to keep it (for now).

I researched replacing it but the only sure fire replacement is a KFC-225. Not a lot were certified for the 28v Commanders since so few were built.

I did replace the STEC alt preselect unit with a box from Aspen that integrates alt preselect into the Aspen panel, though, so I don't need the STEC alt preselect unit anymore.

skywest

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in the hoskins fuel flow totalizer ft _101. Please give me the price + shipping to switzerland.

raymos

Reaction score
RNC,

I am kicking around the idea of updating my 66 140 to IFR capable. Has dual VOR now but it is antiquated.

What might you want for the King equipment below:

King KI208 CDI
King KT76A transponder
King KR87 ADF + indicator (can include antenna if needed)
King KX155 nav/comm

I'm not sure this gets me to IFR capable but maybe you know? I have a mode C transponder and new encoder but might want the KT76A for a spare.

RNC

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
It depends on how IFR capable you wish to be, and there are several prices of entry there, raymos.

1) The CDI is not a glideslope, just a lateral deviation indicator, so it will not be able to indicate glideslope height on an approach. If you only buy one used instrument for this purpose, you would want the KI-209, not the 208 I have. And the KI-209 is not GPS capable so even it has limited useful longevity.

2) There are NDB approaches still out there and they still train them, but ADFs are going the way of the dodo, honestly. A CFI asked about the ADF saying he could plug it in in his hangar and use it for a training tool, that's the only interest I've had in it, lol. If your plane does not have this exact ADF setup already, it surely would not be worth panel modification to put it in there.

3) KX-155 is a perfectly capable secondary NAV/COMM, there's nothing wrong with using it for the foreseeable future. Check with your shop on installing it, installing a new radio in an airplane is not trivial.

4) None of this stuff will get you the ability to do GPS approaches, which are becoming more prevalent as time goes by because they're cheaper to implement.

Of course I don't want to dissuade you from buying my junk! But if you want to make an airplane IFR capable that currently isn't, the best way to go would be to find a used Garmin 430W along with a used Garmin GI-106A glideslope. The two of those will get you the ability to do any approach regardless of the technology it uses (GPS, VOR, ILS, and the vast majority (all?) NDB approaches out there have GPS overlays so can be flown by GPS), plus the Garmin 430W will give you a visual depiction of the approach on screen at worst, or couple to your autopilot at best. The 430W is also a comm/nav radio so will give you one new radio for primary use.

I personally would not spend much money on less than that in terms of making an old airplane IFR capable.

I can't edit the original post due to the time that has passed but the KT-76A is already gone, someone else got it.

skywest, sent you a PM on the Hoskins fuel computer.

Last edited:

kshaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be interested in the Davtron M475VA volt/amp meter if will work on my 12V Cherokee. Do you know if it will?

raymos

Reaction score
RNC,

Thanks for the response. I suspected much the same but have too little experience with GA avionics. Also appreciate the recommendation on what would be the better choice for an upgrade, which I've considered (430W) but will be a while before it is in the budget.

A friend might be picking up a Warrior II soon and it has all King equipment, including dual KX-155s and glide slope, DME, etc. Nice IFR setup a decade or two ago but not desirable anymore by most. He wants to upgrade all that to a 430 setup so I might help him by moving it all to my panel when he upgrades.

RNC

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There's deals out there you just gotta look around for em. There are a TON of 430Ws in the field, Garmin sold more of those than any other device. As such, the older they get the more used ones will be out there, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good working used 430W, they're quite rugged little boxes from my experience.

I may be interested in the Davtron M475VA volt/amp meter if will work on my 12V Cherokee. Do you know if it will?
From the looks of Davtron's installation manual, the only difference is the backlight for night purposes. One has a 14v bulb and the other a 28v bulb, the unit itself says it works between 8 and 32 volts. If that's the case you might just need to put in a new 14v light bulb.

Check with your shop and/or give Davtron a call and make sure on that, though.

kshaw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Davtron said that it would work and changeout of the bulb did not sound that difficult. How much would you want for it?