• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

How much will my plane be worth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1975 PA28-151 Warrior and I'm thinking about doing a major upgrade to add a full Dynon HDX panel. I'd like to know whether I can expect the cost of the Dynon to be recovered when I eventually sell the plane.

The plane currently has the same basic instruments it had when it was manufactured. Most of the instruments have been rebuilt or replaced with new over the years so are in good condition, however, they are the same type as the plane came with originally. The original radio has been replaced with a single TKM Michel MX170C. I don't have a second NavCom radio. The plane has the original transponder from 1975. I don't have ADSB IN or Out and don't have an audio panel. Also, no auto pilot.

My panel is pretty basic and I have a number of desired or mandatory upgrades I have to do soon. I have to install ADSB IN and OUT. That will cost anywhere between $3000 (Uavionix plus Stratus) to $6000 (L3). I'd like an autopilot but the cost of $6 or $7k is an ouch. I'd like a 2nd Nav Comm radio for redundancy and already have purchased a used TKM Michel 170C ($1000 plus $1000 labor) to pair with my existing 170C (haven't installed yet pending the decision on the Dynon). I need an audio panel and already purchased a Garmin GMA340 $1000 (again, not installed yet pending decision on the Dynon). I was quoted $2000 to install the audio panel. My existing transponder works ok but is 45 years old. If I went with one of the high end ADSB out options it would also replace my transponder.

If I stay with my existing panel and do the upgrades mentioned above I'm looking at spending about $18k ($6k ADSB w transponder plus $7k autopilot plus $2k NavComm plus $3k audio panel). For that price I get and well equipped panel that is mostly 1970's technology with a few modern upgrades such as ADSB and digital radios. I also get a nice autopilot.

My alternative is to remove almost everything in my existing panel, sell the components and install the Dynon HDX. I can probably get $4-5k or so for everything if I put it on Ebay.

Dynon just announced the HDX is FAA approved for the PA28 so now I'm looking at possibly installing the HDX. Dynon doesn't have approval for the autopilot portion of the HDX system yet but they expect to receive approval sometime in the next year or two.

Dynon's website contains a price list for a complete HDX system installed in a Cessna 172. The cost to install the same equipment into a PA28 Warrior should be comparable. I can install two Skyview 10 inch displays with the ADAHRS primary module, EFIS D10A, backup battery and all the misc cabling, for just under $14,000 (exc labor). Add $3134 for ADSB In and Out (exc labor). Add $2910 for autopilot (exc labor). Add $1688 for complete engine monitoring system (exc labor). Add $499 for optional IFR connectivity kit (not necessary if I don't install IFR until later). Add $2195 for Comm radio (HDX system does not use VOR COMM. Add $465 for misc cables and etc. Add $2000 for STC certificate. Total for the entire system for VFR is $24,911. Labor to install the entire system is estimated by Dynon to be between $9k and $11k. The above price doesn't include a new custom instrument aluminum panel to replace the original factory aluminum panel. I haven't priced a new aluminum panel so will just guess at $1000. Adding IFR is another $10k or $15k for radios but I'm not IFR certified so won't go with IFR at this time.

Note that the above prices assume installation of autopilot servos (2 x $750 ea). Since servos are not yet FAA approved I'd have the plane prewired for autopilot but not install the servos until later.

Based on the above the cost to install the entire Dynon system with autopilot will be about $38,000. For this price I would get a modern 21st century glass panel system with autopilot, synthetic vision engine monitoring, EFIS, Comm radio, etc which compares favorably to the $18,000 cost to add ADSB, autopilot, backup radio, audio panel, etc to my existing 1970's panel (supplemented with IPAD and Foreflight). The Dynon will cost about $20k more than upgrading the existing panel plus if I can sell the old instruments for $4k the price differential is reduced to $16k.

I recently completed installation of a new leather interior and new acrylic windows in my Piper. Cost was about $10K for new windows and interior (I did some of the labor myself). Paint on my plane was done about 15 years ago and is about an 8 out of 10. Engine was rebuilt about 15 years ago and currently has 600 hours since rebuild. Airframe has just over 5000 total time.

I'm a low time pilot and don't have any plans as of now to sell the plane. Possibly, at some point in the future I may decide I want something more powerful or complex and will sell but I might just as easily decide that with the Dynon system installed I'm happy with the Warrior. I don't currently lease back my plane, however, after all the upgrades are complete I might decide to lease back the plane a bit in order to recover some of the upgrade costs.

Based on the above, I've got three options. 1) keep my existing panel and just add ADSB for $3k). 2) upgrade existing panel with ADSB, autopilot, additional radio, etc for $18k, 3) gut old panel and install new Dynon HDX system for $38,000 (minus $4k from sale of old avionics).

I'm concerned I may be over upgrading my plane. I already spent $10k to put in a beautiful new leather interior and windows. If you consider the pre upgrade value of the plane to be $30k or so then after I pay for interior, windows, and Dynon HDX I'll have about $74k in a plane with decent paint and a 600 hour engine. Does anyone have an opinion on what my plane will be worth after the Dynon HDX is installed? How about if I just upgrade the existing panel instead of installing the Dynon? Am I over-upgraded?

If I subsequently decided to add IFR to my panel that would cost more but I haven't costed those upgrades. Perhaps $15k? That would put the plane in the $90k range.

Attachments

• C172-Dynon Installed Price List.pdf
    895 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back