• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Looking for input on avionics upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
We are planning the avionics upgrade for our '75 Arrow II and I wanted to get some input from everyone here. Currently we have the original 6 pack, Piper autopilot III (no altitude hold), original KMA 20 audio panel, 1 - KX170B (COM2), 1 - MX -170 (COM1), GTX 327, King DME and JPI 830.

We picked up an Aspen EFD 1000 with synthetic unlock with all wiring, antenna and ACU.

Our thoughts are to do the following:

Install the Aspen in the center stack
Move the AI to the right, move Top CDI down and pull bottom CDI
Change audio panel to a PMA6000B
Move the MX-170 down to COM2 and pull old KX-170B
Install a Garmin GNC-355 as the GPS & COM1
Change GTX327 to a 345 to replace uAvionix tailbeacon

Our questions are:

Is the GNC-355 the right GPS/COM in this setup?
Any reason to snag a 430W or move to a GTN650?
Any "gotchas" or "I would have if I had known...."

Also, we are looking at Aerocruz100 at a later date. We want to make sure this all works together..... any input is appreciated!

Latest posts

Back