• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee projects.....rigged flaps and reworked cylinder....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killrocks

Reaction score
So, the mechanic who operates out of the hangar space I'm renting talked me into adjusting the flaps. The Piper MM directs how to make a simple tool to check the rigging, and mine were a couple degrees too high when retracted. I would guess this is supposed to reduce drag or something. He told me that the airplane would really climb better if we fixed that.

So we did, both flaps needed one 1 and 1/6th of a turn down to put them in the correct position according to the book.

Next time we went out flying (breaking in the one cylinder now that I had to have reworked due to glazing).....I rotated at 60, flew in ground effect to 85 and brought the nose up and I was getting 700+ FPM for a little while before the airspeed started to decay. Lowered the nose a bit, and we stabilized with a 500fpm climb at 90MPH. Actually approaching book numbers.

It really made quite a difference in climb. Cruise speed seems about the same, 105mph at 2350 RPM, around 115mph (straight down on the ASI) at 2400.

Now I think back to the first flight with this airplane out of Tucson, 105 degrees out, 1800' field.....and climbing out at 80 mph and 200fpm. No wonder it didn't climb well.

Now I want to get flap gap seals.......

The only problem now (is it a problem?) my ailerons are reflexed up 2 degrees and it's very plain to see it. Seems to fly great though.

If you haven't checked your flap rigging - it's worth it!!!!! Especially if you only have a 140 like me.

Incidentally, it was the second break in flight, we now have 3 hours on the reworked cylinder (12 hours on the other three) and we aren't fouling plugs anymore. Running very well. We are going to start actual flight training again soon.

Latest posts

Back