• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

160 hp 28-140/ with 160 hp+ powerflow exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billythekid

Reaction score
Prop is a 58”
rpm 2350 ground speed 110 gph 7.5 8500 altitude oat 2c .
my club member flew our 1969 Cherokee and these are his numbers
the p.o.h. I’m using ( when we got the plane it didn’t have one) I got a 1970 p.o.h. And according to his flight numbers he was running at 70% of power.
my questions..
has anyone re- pitch propeller in this situation our gross wt 2150.
with 160 hp O-320-E2A + power flow claim of 10% more power we are a possible 176hp. We sent out carb and wet flow tested and increased main jet ( lycon) this cooled #3 cht bout 20 degrees.
in the aforementioned data at cruise cht number 3 was 440. When he flew.

when I flew at 8500 alt. I was at 55% of power and had 360 on #3..
are we over rpm due to prop pitch ? the temps I see is when rpm goes to 2700 like at take off…. Cht can shoot through 450 in less than 3 minutes.
Baffles are good , I have gone through all that stuff.
im thinking of cooling oil temp by 10-15 degrees to help this oil running 180f now.
im open to e mail [email protected] or ph calls 619-251-4631.
we will be adding edm730 tach option soon to better data rpm numbers . The 730 data is what we have for egt/cht and so on.
I am a a and p student , so I know enough to be dangerous.
This thing climbs 2-300 fpm and cht #3 steady 430 at 2350 rpm. I climb out at 2200 and 405 cht #3.
I suspect over rpm is creating excessive heat.. in cylinders but not in oil temp..

Latest posts

Back