• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hornet2 Engine Preheater Pirep

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I thought the Hornet engine compartment heater sounded like a good idea and bought one for $325 from Sportys. It’s a small rectangular item about a foot long and 1 1/2 inches square. Thermostats and two little fans. Put it in and leave it. Sits on top of a cylinder bank and the electric cord goes out a nose inlet. Seal the engine compartment with nose plugs and put a couple of moving blankets on top the cowl. Or Bruce’s sells an insulated cowl cover.

In central Ohio we have had single digits and a lot of teens and twenties. Before flying I have measured the engine compartment with my barbecue grill meat digital thermometer. I can stick it in along the cowl plugs before opening up the cowl to find out the air temperature inside the engine compartment. Always high forties low 50s degrees F. 47-52 would be typical. When I open the cowl up I check the engine with a laser infrared thermometer. Engine block is generally low 50 degree Fahrenheit, same for the jugs. Oil pan after a sub zero nite typically low 40s or high 30s F.

The unit basically works by heating the engine compartment mildly in a consistent overnite fashion, as opposed to a blast of very hot air via conventional combustion, eg airport preheating or a Red Dragon propane heater, which I used for many years out the ramp. The Cherokee is now in an unheated hangar with electric outlets.

There are pros and cons for the different pre heating options. This one seems to equal a moderate 50 degree Fahrenheit engine environment. I have been checking carefully before every flight with the two digital thermometers I described and have been gaining confidence in the unit.

Latest posts

Back