• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thoughts and/or Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am looking for thoughts and opinions on my next new to me plane so here is what I am leaning towards but I am open to options and all opinions.

I think I would love a Dakota but what are opinions on the Comanche? For a 50 yr old pilot I am concerned with insurance now and in the future, along with maintenance, I think this will be my forever plane (I think) but of course there is always something shiny that could catch my eye.

Most of the time it is just my wife and myself, we do take our kids on occasion, they are adults now. We fly all over the Midwest, but also flew my 140 to Sedona a couple years ago. With that in mind I need to think about useful load of course. Not in a hurry but thought I would start the search.

Not scared of somewhat of a project and making it 'mine' since I restored my 140

Thinking Dakota, non turbo for my first choice. Thoughts?

What, if any, advantages on the Comanche other than cost.

Seriously considered a straight tail Lance since you can get into one for same and sometimes less money than a Dakota.

Also found a '73 Charger, but really cannot find out anything much on them, good or bad, not really concerned about the Hershey Bar wings but was thinking I would like tapered.

Thank you

Latest posts

Back