• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Washing engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do any of you wash your engines?

I’ve got a ‘73 140, and during my annual recently my mechanic asked if I wanted to wash the engine before we put the lower and upper cowlings back on, and said using 100LL works great for this. I declined, I wanted to get the annual done and my engine is actually pretty clean, and it seemed like a really sketchy idea at first…I had visions of someone at the fuel pumps hosing down the front end of my plane…(why do our minds always go to the extreme unreasonable possibility first?). Anyway, as I thought about it it kind of makes sense…a rag dipped in 100ll would cut through any external oil, evaporates right away, I could wipe down all surfaces I imagine pretty quickly without causing any grief to electrics or alternator etc, so now on second thought seems like maybe a good idea.

But before I do it, anybody else do it this way, or have other advice on how to make engine glisten?

Latest posts

Back