• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Engine spinning backwards on shutdown

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
When I shutdown my engine (really just when it's cold outside), sometimes pulling the mixture and throttle all the way back won't kill it completely and it sputters for 5 to 10 seconds before it dies. More than once, I've had to just turn the mags off to get it to shut down. In once instance, the engine started turning backwards (cylinders still firing), so I turned off the mags to kill it.
I've heard that turning the engine backwards can cause engine damage, is that true? Will having fuel in the cylinder after shutdown damage the engine? Will turning the engine off with the mags (after trying to starve it of fuel) cause any damage? This is for a 1971 Arrow with a Lycoming IO-360-C1C.

Latest posts

Back