• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Fuel pump question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have noticed two or three times over the past several months when cranking the IO-540 in my Six 300 (cold start) that the engine seems to slowly starve for fuel immediately after the initial start. After priming, I crank with the electric fuel pump OFF as I have successfully for years. The times when I have noticed this issue as soon as the engine cranks it will slowly lose RPM as though it is starving for fuel. I’ll switch on the electric boost pump for about 5-10 seconds and it will catch up, then if I turn it OFF the engine will slowly lose RPM and I will repeat the process with the boost pump again. Usually after three cycles of this all goes to normal. This does not happen all of the time. My question is could this be a sign of an issue with the engine driven fuel pump?

Latest posts

Back