• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The Engine Overhaul of 803TW

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WebRuss

Reaction score
Hello All
This thread will be dedicated to the overhaul of the engine in N803TW. I will post updates and pics as the repairs occur.

BACKGROUND
  • 803TW is a 1968 Cherokee D 180.
  • 6506 TTAF
  • Engine is Lycoming O-360-A4A
  • 750 SMOH
  • Engine was overhauled in 2000.
  • I use Shell Aero 100 SAE 50 oil.
  • I keep the oil level at 6 QTS as anything more is just wasted.
  • Former owner flew it a little each week. Maybe a couple of hours.
  • I bought the plane in June and I've put about 100 hours on it between getting re-certified and recreational activities.
  • I practice lean-of-peak as much as possible and try to run at 2350 rpms when cruising.

Original reason for bringing the plane to my local mechanic was that the engine was using a lot of oil (6 qts in 20 hours) and developed a new behavior of spraying oil out of the whistle hole in the breather tube. The assumption was that pressure was building up in the engine case due to weak piston rings allowing blow-by and thus pushing oil out of the breather.

So a compression test was conducted. The results were:
#4 - 70
#3 - 65
#2 - 63
#1 - ~45

Also #1 cylinder has a significant exhaust valve leak - could hear a lot of air coming out of the exhaust. So at this point #1 was removed in a plan to send it out to be redone.

With #1 cylinder removed, an inspection of the cam shaft and lifters revealed significant spalling on the faces of the lifters.

CORRECTION - The damage shown in the photo below is pitting on the face of the lifters as Phillip Lane pointed out that "Spalling is where ragged chunks are broken out from the corrosion pits"

img_20131209_153028_936-213.jpg

Beginning the process of an engine overhaul.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back