• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Suggestions on my nightmare A & P experience.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgiles

Reaction score
My 1977 Pathfinder had a Pre-purchase inspection, zero time engine install, and finally its annual completed all by the same A&P within the past few months. The mechanic originally quoted me around 8-12 hours $680- $1020 ($85/hr) on average to complete the pre purchase inspection, approx $2550 30 hours in labor to install the new Zero time engine shipped to him from Lycoming, and finally approx $1000 for the annual that was going to be due around the time of engine install was complete. That would all total approx $4500.

So the grand total I actually was billed instead totaled over 47.75 hours for the zero time install, 40.25 for the annual and the Pre-purchase inspection of 10 hours was accurate and within the range qouted. The grand total of labor cost $8330 however that also included the installation of a new Fuel pump of which cost $700 for that part.

I was shocked at the increased cost that I was not aware these labor cost had doubled. This bad story gets worse, when I arrive in LA to pick up my plane this weekend, he advised me the money I spent for the ELT battery was a loss because the ELT G sensor is non functioning. As a result, he placard the cockpit as In Op and removed the ELT. So as I was researching the legality and safety of flying from LA to Dallas over dessert and mountains without a functioning ELT. He could not find the same ELT anywhere in the LA region. As I finally made a decision to change my route of flight to follow I-10 incase of troubles and no ELT, at least cars could see me going down. Then when I arrive back in Dallas, I will have my local FBO install a new ELT.

So hear I am beginning my preflight checklist and I sit in the cockpit of this airplane and notice that my elevator trim (power as well as manual) is not working in moving it to the takeoff position or the nose down position. So trying to remain calm I ask the mechanic to come take a look at it, he finds out that the cable for the trim had sheared off and broke. So I begin asking myself, how did he miss this during both the pre-purchase inspection and the annual he just signed off of. I was billed 2x the labor for all of these services and still did not have a functioning airplane. He would need an additional week or two to order the cable and install it. So I fly home commercial without my airplane spending over $1000 for last minute return airfare, additional 2 nights hotel etc..

I would like to know some feedback on how you would handle this situation if you had this situation. One thing to note, this mechanic forgot to have me sign a work order so all of this work has been performed based on our oral discussions only. He has since asked me to sign the work order, I am not in a rush to do that given the above situation.

To date I have paid for the $1000 pre-purchase inspection, $6200 for the engine install and fuel pump. I have not paid the final annual of $4200..

Notes about me,
I have only 100 hours experience flight time and only 1 hour in a piper cherokee of which it was not the Pathfinder with 235 HP and fixed speed prop. As a result I flew my flight instructor with me on this trip so I could complete my bi-annual flight review, and log my first 6 hours instrument as I am going to start pursuing my instrument rating...

Sent from my iPad using Piper Forum

Latest posts

Back