• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

State & Local Taxes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
All,
I enjoy the Piper Forum primarily for its information exchange. In a recent thread on Luxury Tax on GA Aircraft, in between all the off-topic discussion, I learned about taxes in South Carolina. I know in the past that NBAA or AOPA regularly published a booklet on state taxes (pretty sure it was NBAA). I am no longer a member so don't have access anymore. I am starting this thread in hopes it'll become a depository for information on taxes in the various states so we all can have pertinent information to help us make informed decisions. I will post a response to this thread that includes the SC info so one does not have to weed through the 76 screens of off topic material on that thread. I would politely ask that this thread be a depository of information and include just information on what actual taxes are in your state or your community. I think the info on SC is good to know, but many members may have missed out because it didn't occur until screen 63 of the previous thread. Let's please keep this one clean? Here's my info....

In 2004 I purchased my aircraft from a private seller in the same Ohio county I lived in. At the time, no sales tax was collected for private sales in Ohio (may have changed since then). There was an annual Ohio aircraft registration fee of $100. I do not recall that the aircraft was taxed as personal property by the county--it was just the state registration fee (may be different now). In 2009 I moved to Florida. Because I owned the aircraft in Ohio more than 5 years, Florida has reciprocity conditions for aircraft purchased in other states and no state tax was applied when I moved. I will let someone else fill in the tax scenario for Florida as I moved from there in 2018. When my wife and I retired in 2018, she wanted to become a "halfback" (some one who moves from the north to Florida and then decide to move back north due to the heat, congestion, etc. but don't want to move all the back north, so you move halfway back). We looked at SC, NC, VA, and TN. The only reason we moved to VA is because of the 26 small cities we looked at, only one in VA had an airport with a hangar available. I did not consider taxes in my decision, thinking it couldn't be too bad. Based on the discussion, I'm glad we didn't choose SC.
When I registered my aircraft with the VA Department of Aviation, $5.00 was all that was required. However, VA has a very aggressive State tax collection process and personal property tax is assessed at the local municipal level. I soon got a letter requesting sales tax on my aircraft purchase 14 years and two states earlier!!! (The intent of the regulation is to eliminate a loop hole where some purchases aircraft/vehicle/etc. outside the state and then bring it into the state to avoid the sales tax....I understand that and several states have that look back provision....but 14 years!!!) If you paid sales tax to another state and can show it, VA has reciprocity. I ended up having to pay a sales tax on the purchase made 14 years ago to VA. I will say, VA DOA does a good job of supporting GA in the state, so I don't mind so much the one time payment. Locally, the county just did a reassessment and a property tax is assessed based on Blue Book valuation. I believe the county's rate is 68 cents per $100 valuation. The County wanted to assess higher, but we are next door to TN and the county has seen aircraft-related people and business move to 30 mile to TN because the tax rate was not competitive. Other counties in VA may be different. One good thing is that the county uses the tax collected to offset capital improvements and operating expense at the airport. Not all counties do.
That's some info about VA. Hope those of you from other states will contribute so we have a central source of information. I see no need to comment on what political leanings each state might represent. Thank you.

Latest posts

Back