• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Potential Piper Lance Owner Looking for Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

netsurfr

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just joined this group as I'm contemplating buying a 50% share of a 1976 Piper Lance. This is completely new to me as I have only rented so far. The plane has 4300 TT with 260 SMOH on the engine (remfg engine from Lycomings) and 250 on a Hartzel 3 blade prop. Both the overhaul & prop were done in 2007. Plane is in very good shape w/ 2001 paint & interiors and some nice upgrades such as JPI EDM 700 engine analyzer, GNS 530W, KX 155 w/ glideslope, standby vacuum system, kma24 audio panel, gtx-327 transponder, dual altimeters, ADF, 6 place intercom / dual PTT, Lopresti wing tips & tanis preheater and hangared 10 minutes from my house. Plane has low time/hours but it's been flown regularly (full aircraft & engine logs) so not a plane that has sat around unused. 2 owners but one retired and moved 3 hours away so he's looking at selling. Second owner is a retired doctor and has 2 other planes (RV8 & Pitts Special) so no issues with scheduling at all.

My concerns are given it's a 1976 is this about the time a plane like this will start experiencing major repair/maintenance (translate expensive) repairs to keep her flying for the next 20 years?

Second - I'm also worried about parts availability since Piper seems to not be producing parts for older airplanes and I've come across some posts of owners having problems finding replacement parts and/or paying an arm & leg for them.

BTW - My reason for considering the Lance is primarily useful load & x-country comfort (our family of 3 like the idea of traveling with it and the 172 is just too tight for long flights w/ stuff). The faster cruise speeds vs. a 172 helps too.

So are my concerns/worries warranted?

Thanks!

2014-07-09 15.39.23.jpg

2014-06-16 12.40.34.jpg

2014-06-16 12.45.06.jpg

2014-07-09 15.37.39.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back