• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Pitot Heat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlyCanadianGuy

Reaction score
Just curious about a few things on pitot heat.

1) Can I (reliably) check its function based on amperage draw when switched on?

2) How long can I leave it on for without short or long term damage to elements/wires?

3) Would it be acceptable to have it on for hours at a time?

4) Do you personally use it pro-actively or reactively? Are you waiting for erroneus readings before checking pitot heat? I've flown four very cold Alberta winters without any problems but these questions always nagged at me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Btw its a 1977 PA-28-151

Latest posts

Back