• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PIREP: Installing an Onyx Plus XM Radio in a Cherokee

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For long trips, music and news is a nice option and makes the trip more enjoyable. I typically attend both Sun N Fun and Oshkosh each year (both over 600 nm), so I decided to see if I could install an XM radio in my Piper Warrior.

Prerequisites. Before considering this project, you want to make sure that your audio panel has a music input jack. It is even better if your audio panel has a stereo output. Most of the audio panels made in the last 10 years or so have these options. They also have auto muting so that the music fades out during ATC communication or communication with passengers. If you plan to use stereo, you may need to verify that your headsets are switched to stereo. Some of my Bose headsets had a series of dip switches where you could turn on the stereo capability.

About the Onyx Plus Receiver. Information on the radio receiver I used is available from many places including this link:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/siriusx...lack/1489779.p?id=1219052517777&skuId=1489779

Optional and Mandatory Equipment Needed. The only mandatory equipment you need is a PAC SNI 1/3.5 ground loop isolator: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EAQTRI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 Without it, the noise level on the receiver is fairly high; with it, the sound is excellent. I stuck mine behind the bracket using high strength Velcro.

Since changing XM channels could get awkward with the receiver mounted below the panel, I ordered two remote controls. These are fairly cheap and small. I bought mine from XMFans which is a discounter for XM radios and accessories. Avoid buying these through EBay. They are cheaper there because they are knockoffs of the original remote. They sometimes do not work at all but more often, some of the buttons just do not work as described in the Onyx manual.

The GPS antenna that comes with the receiver was designed to fit on the trunk of a car or on the roof so it comes with about a 30 foot cord. Some people have been able to shorten the cable and solder the jack to the antenna but it requires special skills because the wire and shielding are just so small. Instead, I bought a replacement antenna with a four foot cable. You may be able to find one with a three foot cable but most online retailers have discontinued them. There is a magnet built into the GPS antenna so locate it away from your compass. I just placed my GPS antenna on the glareshield.

The car kit comes with a four foot shielded male to male 3.5mm audio cable with one end using a 90 degree jack. You can order shorter cables from My Cable Mart. Measure the length of cable you would need.

Installation. I explored several mounting options but decided to mount it underneath the throttle/mixture quadrant using the same holes as the microphone holder. First, I needed a bracket to mount the receiver. I decided to fabricate the bracket from .064-inch Kydex plastic. Kydex has some unique properties: it is commonly used for aircraft interiors for commercial aircraft so it would pass all the burn tests, it can be molded or bent with very low heat, and it retains its shape once it has cooled. I ordered two small sheets through EBay. To make the bracket, you have to bend the Kydex about 90 degrees. I improvised a cheap brake by first cutting a two-inch wide Kydex strip from the sheet, sandwiched the strip between two pieces of plywood, which I clamped together. About half the strip needs to stick out above the plywood. You also need to make a heat shield out of another piece of wood with a notch on the bottom about ½ inch tall and about 2 inches wide. This limits heat from the heat gun to only your bending point. As you heat the Kydex, apply slight pressure at the top until it starts bending. At about a 90-degree bend, remove the heat and hold the part until it cools. Cut both ends to size and drill. Make sure you allow about 1/2 in clearance above the radio so that it could be easily popped off the cradle for use in your car or home when you are not flying.

You also need some spacers on the back of the cradle else, you cannot plug the wires into the back. You could use nylon, aluminum, or rubber. I used four rubber grommets from Lowes, four metric stainless M4-.70x20 pan head screws, and four 4mm flat washers.

XM Service. I have found that the price for XM service is very negotiable. I would suggest that you initially ask for the six-month trial service but you will likely be offered other trial deals. You will have to be diligent about watching your end date for the trial period, else they will revert you to the full price. As your end date arrives, you can call them and renegotiate the price.

Legalities. The FAA rules for using a portable electronic device (PED) are less restrictive on a private plane versus a commercial plane and the FAA is exploring relaxation of the rules associated with use of PEDs. The FAA defines a PED “as any piece of lightweight, electrically powered equipment. These devices are typically consumer electronics devices functionally capable of communications, data processing, and/or utility.” The regulations permit the unrestricted use of portable voice recorders, hearing aids, heart pacemakers, and electric shavers. Additionally, the regulations permit the use of any other portable electronic device that the operator of the aircraft has determined will not cause interference with the navigation or communication system of the aircraft on which it is to be used.

Additional FAA references on use of PEDs:
Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) §§ 91.21.
FAA Advisory Circular 91-21.1B, “Use of Portable Electronic Devices Aboard Aircraft,” August 25, 2006.
FAA Information for Operators 13010, “Expanding Use of Portable Electronic Devices,” October 31, 2013.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back