• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Poor cabin heat, is it just me?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyski

Reaction score
Firstly; 1999 piper saratoga II TC

I Have been doing a lot of flying this winter with instructor in my plane for my IFR and the cabin heat is horrible. I firstly thought this was just because firstly, it's western NY and it's ~20 F on the ground and secondly because I am flying slow with a fairly nose up attitude.

Today, however, I took a very long cross country (350 miles) for a little over 2 hours. At 9k, outside temp -5 F. There was frost forming on the inside of the pilot window. I have levers for both heat and defroster. I left the defroster off because the air coming out was cold. When I flipped the lever to turn on the defroster, air was definitely blowing out but it never got above 50 degrees in the plane according to my inside temperature gauge but I think it was much cooler (it is digital and not sure where the probe is located, the sun was hitting the black dash) The air at my feet never felt warm and my feet were borderline numb, it wasn't -5 F cold, but cold, didn't really feel "warm" by any stretch by putting your hand to it. And the very small amount of snow that was tracked in my by shoes never melted.

Is this a problem with all of these planes or should I expect a comfortable cabin?

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back