• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Difficult Starting when Cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jestratton390

Reaction score
In the 13 months I've owned her, my PA-32/300 with an IO-540 has consistently been a challenging starter when cold ("cold" meaning 1st start of the day, not relative to temperature since I live in south Lousiana). Conversely, hot starting is no problem. After 11 months of these issues I installed a new RG-35A battery since the previous one was about 5 years old hoping that might resolve the problems. The engine defintely turns faster/stronger during start attempts now but starting has not improved. The starter was O/H'd about 10 months ago, the mags are signed off as having a 500 hour service done 220 hours ago during engine O/H, and the mags were timed during my August 2018 annual (battery was replaced after the annual).

I follow Lycoming's and Piper's cold starting procedure of cracking the throttle 1/4 inch, turning on the electric fuel pump, advancing the mixture until the first indiction of fuel flow, then mixture cut-off and start. I installed an EDM-900 engine monitor when I purchased the airplane and I'm confident in its fuel flow display. Hot start is the same without the priming and it typically starts right up.

It initially seemed as if I had to crank the engine once for about 5-6 seconds unsuccessfully, then it would start on the 2nd attempt. After a couple of months, I would prime for 6 full seconds and it would start after that first long crank attempt but that didn't last. Then for a period of time in the summer it would start every now and again on the 1st try with the manufacturer's stated procedure, but lately (such as last night) it takes about three to four 5-6 second attempts, with a reprime after the 2nd attempt, to get her to start. Once she starts, she runs great. I just signed up for Savvy's Pro analysis and first report just came back from them that the in-flight mag check looked good but that the bottom plug on #4 needs to be monitored. That matches my personal analysis of 4 previous in-flight mag checks using Savvy's free tool.

I'm stumped and have had A&P's advise to start with 'everything forward' after the priming, but I haven't gone that route yet. I suspect it is an electrical issue potentially having to do with mag timing, especially since I've read on this forum that a new battery may actually contribute to start difficulties by effectively reducing mag timing due to a faster turning prop on start. But since I can always get her to start after a few attempts and with short bursts of extra priming, I'm concerned about fuel pump issues as well.

My intent is to get some feedback from experts on this forum and compare that with what the local mechanics are telling me about troubleshooting steps.

Latest posts

Back