• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

O540 backfire during low power approach

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DesertNomad

Reaction score
I flew with a friend today which was his first time using a noise canceling headset and he has not flown much in a long time... but has about 2500 hours from the 70s.

During approach into an airport at 4200' today, on the base leg, he thought it sounded like the engine was backfiring during power reduction. It sounded totally normal to me, so it could be an artifact of the headsets but who knows?

The mag check on the ground is very good - drop of about 125 on both sides and very smooth. The single drive dual mag was serviced 10 hours ago. He says it is common to hear some backfire on bigger engines (235hp, 300hp etc), but his experience is from the 70s flying without headsets.

I had it properly leaned for the altitude we were landing at and it all seemed normal to me, but do you folks have any comments on this?

I did notice my idle was a bit slow this morning (it was 35 degrees) and idle was about 500rpm if I pulled it all the way back.

Latest posts

Back