• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

The Impossible Turn

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Dartford

Reaction score
I guess my son is like me and runs his own flight tests. Here is what he just sent me.

There’s been much debate on the “impossible turn” instructor just cut and paste “no” turns below 1000’agl. I call bs to that. Complete depends on the conditions, the aircraft and the pilot. They don’t really even put emphasis on training for this down low to prove or disprove what they’re teaching. Nobody believes me, but I proved conclusively four times in a row that the impossible term is very possible. I was using a local airport with a paved runway in a big field at the end. I had just under half a tank of gas and purposely took off with 400‘ runway remaining. Winds were calm. I climbed out at VY of 77kts. And pulled the power back to idle at 250’ AGL. I gained another 30’ as I initiated an immediate turn while pitching for best glide at 59kts. My AOA beeping tone is a perfect tool to inform me if the wing is approaching a stall earlier than normal due to the increased bank angle. I made it back every time to land between the runway end lights. Granted, I was expecting this, but I didn’t chop the power abruptly and yanking bank. This needs to be taught starting at 1000 feet and working down at 100 foot increments until such time as the runway can no longer be safely made. There we have the new limit or thereabouts.

AGNmyxbmsprAEzjtEwtgvvGMqFlzsHs8vivIEe5J5rD9=s40-p-mo

And here is my reply...

Maybe it can be done in a RANS S21, but how about a TriPacer (also known as a TriCrasher because of its sink rate. Or even a Cherokee?

I do know of one case where a TriPacer did make it. He took off on runway 32. When the engine quit he only had to make a 240 degree left turn to be lined up on final for runway 8. Having an intersecting runway helps.

cleardot.gif

Latest posts

Back