• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

EGT differential at low power

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Turtlesfly

Reaction score
Thanks for everybody’s contributions on this forum, it is very helpful.

I have a question about how much EGT diff on an engine monitor would you or tolerate at low power before suspecting something is wrong?

Yeah yeah, I’ve read the advice (Mike Busch, etc…) that EGT diff is a meaningless number, but that can only be true up to a point.

The engine in question is for a Seneca II - Continental TSIO-360. At idle and up to about 1000 RPM I’m getting a few EGTs around 480-580 (is that even firing? I feel like that’s just measuring residual heat at that point), and some are at 1300, representing a spread of over 800 degrees. It even shakes the plane a bit. At cruise and higher power settings, the EGTs are tight and the engine purrs along, so maybe I shouldn’t be worried.

However, on short final yesterday I got a diff warning on the JPI of 200 as 2 cylinders dropped off the bottom scale of the monitor. A post-flight run-up revealed normal operation when they were under power.

Would this strike concern in anybody else?

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back