• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Hole in my Air Conditioner Compressor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdfrey1

Reaction score
I own a 1981 Turbo Saratoga (PA32R) and I just got back from a trip and had the shop take the plane in for an oil change. I got a call less than an hour later and my A&P said there were parts of my A/C compressor all over the lower cowling and a hole in the compressor (see the picture). Initial quotes sound like the compressor is going to cost around $2,000 and it may be difficult to even find in a short time. Does anyone know of a good source or have recommendations on this?

I'm actually considering removing the A/C system as even though it has been a "nice to have" it wasn't a must have. In the 3 years I've owned the plane I've only used it a few times. It is a lot of weight that I could get back in useful load, won't have the extra fuel burn and also won't have to worry about maintaining the system. Any thoughts or recommendations on this? It came from the factory with A/C. Would removing the system significantly affect the value of the airplane?

AC Compressor.jpg

Latest posts

Back