• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Gear issue - Piper Turbo Arrow IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 1981 Piper Turbo Arrow IV… my buddy was flying it today, in cruise flight at altitude and the gear decided to come down. The lockout pin was in Normal position… set to deploy if slow and low enough. We usually fly with the gear pin in lockout position so it won’t deploy until we make it deploy by actuating the Gear controller. He mentioned that the gear transition light remained on for an extended time when he attempted to retract the gear. He cycled the gear a couple times and eventually landed normally.
Has anyone had experiences like this with the emergency gear extension system and perhaps have some insight to what may be occurring?
He had a similar experience a couple weeks ago upon landing with the transition light remaining on and no 3-green landing lights. He eventually got 3-greens. I subsequently took the plane up and did a series of full stop landings in various takeoff and landing configurations. The gear acted normally on all the takeoffs and landings. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Latest posts

Back