• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

77 Piper Arrow Hydraulic Pump Cycling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have read several, if not all the posts, concerning the hydraulic system, particularly on the Piper Arrow. I have a 1977 Turbo Piper Arrow III with the emergency gear system still installed and operating. For reference, I'm an A&P however been flying corporate jets for most of my career and have been turning wrenches on them. I have extensive maintenance experience working on GA planes back in the day and been updating this experience over the past year on the Arrow.

Here's what I'm pondering....

Once gear is retracted, pump operates every 50 secs. to maintain up pressure. I jacked plane and retracted gear then turned off power to see how long the gear remained in wells. Both main gears relaxed down initially a few inches, then the right gear continued to fall and lock within 20 minutes. The left gear then continued followed by the nose. I understand the system is all connected and have read several of your posts. I have ordered an assortment of o-rings to tackle the Hoof Valve first, then the right gear actuator if after Hoof Valve doesn't resolve the issue.

In several posts, it's recommend capping off the hydraulic pump so to remove if from the equation. Since I will be in the center wing bay tackling the Hoof Valve first, the hydraulic manifolds are plumbed back to the pump would be the easiest placed to cap off the pump from.

Here's my questions and looking for the group's assistance:

- Since the gear is held up under psi (no up locks) from the pump, how do I disconnect either of these lines without getting sprayed with hydraulic fluid?

One thought is to place 2x4 boards under each gear to hold them up in place to allow system to relax and bleed pressure off internally, before cracking the lines.

Is there another technique and recommendation?

1701803485124.png

Latest posts

Back