• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

FS: master/lights/pitot/pump switch assy + switches

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well a bit of a panel tear up is underway:

... have the switch panel assembly and switches for sale. All were working when removed. I am changing to new PWM dimmers and the new style lighted Piper switches.

[All items now sold]

Assy including the two transistors, the factory pots (with painted "OFF" indicator), and a laser cut/etched black bezel I had made up. Unlike the painted surface below, it is always jet black and never chips. $200. (sold)

Individual switches, Split MAST/ALT (DPST), PUMP (SPST), PITOT (SPST) and two split lights switches (one DPDT, one DPST). Split switches $30. Single switches $20. (all sold)

Shipping to US $30, for any single package. Shipping to Canada $20. All prices in US$. Paypal preferred.

If you feel any prices are out of line, let me know. I do hope someone can give these fellas a good home!

* Orest

Last edited:

epopper

Reaction score
So this sounds cool. Can you describe the process and cost for the update to the lighted switches? Also, I am curious about the PWM dimmers as my rheostats are finicky at best...

Eric

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this sounds cool. Can you describe the process and cost for the update to the lighted switches? Also, I am curious about the PWM dimmers as my rheostats are finicky at best...

Eric
I'll be posting pics and notes as we go along.

As you can see from the pics upthread, I have a mostly aluminum custom panel. I left the center piece in the original plastic, because I liked the contrast, and it saved money not having to change that out.

Driven by a need for an additional switch, that must be in close proximity to the current ALT switch, I have now decided to "finish it up". But I will retain the same contrast by having a black powder cost center strip, emulating the original plastic.

I am moving the master & battery switch to the lower left, to make room for the larger switches, and to allow for an additional (standby) alternator switch in future. The new switches are the current Piper factory units, black shell, with white lighting that lights up at night. Very snazzy. All the lettering is custom, to my specification.

Here is what they look like:

With the whole lighting assembly gone, I will just put in two new dimmers, and no reason not to use modern PWM units that will work with incandescent loads, and all LEDs as well.

The main portion of work is actually an update of my autopilots, to an STEC 55x. Will also be adding new control wheels, from Avion.

As to costs, the switches are really silly priced at US$200 each. The dimmers are US$70 or so. But it is just money. ;-)

The custom panel work is always a costly item as well, given the design time and custom fabrication.

Does that answer your question? I will be posting as we go along on this.

* Orest

Last edited:

bvisocky

Reaction score
I love the work you have done to your panel...but wow! That must have cost a couple nickels!

kellyho67

Reaction score
I'll be posting pics and notes as we go along.

As to costs, the switches are really silly priced at US$200 each. The dimmers are US$70 or so. But it is just money. ;-)
* Orest
Curious.. what switches are these and are they STC or TSO with Field approvals? I am in need of replacing mine as well and would love backlighting.

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious.. what switches are these and are they STC or TSO with Field approvals? I am in need of replacing mine as well and would love backlighting.
They are the new Piper "factory" switches, not sure of the regulatory details on these. My shop can get a small lot of these from a local producer, he makes them for Piper.

* Orest

kellyho67

Reaction score
They are the new Piper "factory" switches, not sure of the regulatory details on these. My shop can get a small lot of these from a local producer, he makes them for Piper.

* Orest
Any chance I could get contact info? Also if these are the new style piper assume then they are only 28V vs 14v?

Orest @ CYFD

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll ask.

It can be 14v, depends on what bulbs you put in. They are a long life incandescent, there may be an LED replacement now, too.

* Orest

jschaible

N2824D
Reaction score
Orest
I'm looking for PA28 dimmers for nav lights and panel (left and right). Anything left?
Jack