• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Cherokee POH Performance Charts and Density Altitude

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about density altitude as I get settled into my new to me '73 Challenger. There are many places in the SoCal area I'd like to go that have higher elevation airports and I want to be as prepared as possible.

I've been studying the POH and notice that the Takeoff Distance vs Density Altitude performance chart does not go beyond 7000 ft density altitude. It indicates a 1500 ft ground roll and a 3500 ft over 50 ft obstacle distance at a DA of 7000 feet. The density altitude vs rate of climb chart does go all the way to 16000 feet. I am assuming I am not supposed to extrapolate on the Takeoff Distance chart, but also assuming many people have taken off in their Cherokee 180s at DAs higher than 7000 feet. Does anyone have a useful tool besides eyeballing the graphed trend form the chart to figure takeoff roll and distance to clear 50 ft obstacle for DA's higher than 7000 ft?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back