• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Century NSD-360A HSI Slaving and other questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

1972 PA32-300
Reaction score
My PA32-300 has a Century NSD-360A HSI which has worked great for many years. We had it overhauled at least 10 years ago, so I know I'm likely on borrowed time. My AI failed recently. It was 19 years in service. I bought an overhauled AI, and had my mechanic replace the AI. To do that, he had to remove the HSI. When I flew for the first time yesterday, I noted that while the AI and HSI worked fine, the slaving on the HSI wasn't working. The HSI precessed 10-20 degrees every 15 minutes. When slaving is working, you obviously don't notice the precession. So, a few questions:
1. Where is the slaving connection to the HSI? My guess is some connector wasnt replaced during the R&R.
2. If the HSI is precessing this much, is that a sign of a failing gyro?
3. If I have to replace the HSI, should I simply go for an overhauled 360A (perhaps $2600) or replace it with one of the electronic models, like Sandel? My inclination is to overhaul given the good service and long life we've gotten from our 360A. Thanks, Randy

Latest posts

Back