• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Bad DG - thinking of the AV-30.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My DG, freshly overhauled, still precesses at 3 deg per min, probably a bit faster. It's basically unusable. AI works fine. Suction showing 4.8in in cruise and all hoses and filters have been replaced. I'm at my wits end with this and am thinking of replacing it (and only it) with an AV-30. My hope is to retain the vac pump and AI for now, install the AV-30 at the bottom in place of the vac DG. My hope is that I can regain DG functionality, but also gain a wind vector (I have an IFD440 that it would talk to) and an HSI. Is this feasible?

In time, I would lose the vac system altogether, but trying to control $$$ out the door a bit here. Since my problem is the DG, I'd rather fix the problem than throw the baby out with the bath water when the AI is working perfectly.

Latest posts

Back