• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

55x GPSS Fail after GTX 345 install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wanted to get some thoughts on possible issues here. I recently had my 325 replaced with a brand new 345. My old unit was failing anyway and this seemed like a good time to get ASDB IN as well. Last year I also had my 430s replaced with 650xis. The 430s were also getting cranky and I figured better replace them while they still had trade in value.

Last year when they replaced the 430s the 55x stopped working in GPSS mode until I took it back to the shop and they changed a setting. They told me it was some cutout setting that was set at zero and it had to do with groundspeed. I didn't really question them since it worked perfectly thereafter.

Fastforward to this year and I have the 345 installed. Well that didnt go so smooth. I also had a co detector installed and they killed my hobbs meter doing it. But the transponder didnt output the correct altitude on my first post MX flight. Turns out they had the wrong encoder installed because my 55x also has a altitude preselect option installed. The GPSS mode also failed to work after that flight but they claimed they could not reproduce it on the ground as test mode worked fine.

They put the new, correct, encoder on and now the GTX is happy and outputting the correct altitude. I see pressure ALT vary on the device AND, most importantly, ATC sees my mode c at the right alt. GPSS worked on my short flight home.

Today I flew two flights and GPSS failed to engage on both flights. I had a full flight plan setup initially they cleared it and tried direct. Nothing I could do would get it into GPSS mode. I verified it was in GPS mode on both GTNs and my HSI said GPS mode. Given I changed nothing between the last flight and this one I am not sure wth could have caused this to fail.

Thoughts? I figure it might be a loose wire somewhere. I also had the fun of dealing with a failed PTT switch on the pilot side during my return flight.

Latest posts

Back