• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aztec Gear Light Intermittent

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N5470Y

Reaction score
Hello, 2 Annuals ago my left gear down switch was replaced with a brand new one. This was done because the gear light was dim. Too much resistance thru the switch. All has been fine since then until I picked the plane up from having the ADS-B installed. When I did my preflight the left gear down light was not lit. The push to test function worked. My initial thought of course was something happened during the ADS-B installation. I went in the shop and got the technician and he assured my the entire time he was working on the plane there were 3 green and he did nothing that could of effected it.

I am going to mention now that is was a very, very cold and windy day here in Massachusetts and that the plane was sitting out in the cold all day (which never happens because I normally keep it in a hangar)

Ok back to the story, I then got my maintenance guy from across the field to come over. We looked at the switch, looked at the wires, did all we could do on the freezing cold ramp with no success. So we decided to bring it over to his hangar and get a better look. Upon taxing it over the light came on. We brought it in, checked the wires, checked the ground, etc, etc. Could not get it to fail again. I flew the plane home with no issues.

A few days later I went to fly the plane early in the morning on a pretty cold day and again only 2 green. I did not have time to deal with it so I left. . I had this theory that the cold was somehow effecting the switch. SO I brought a heat gun when I can back that evening. I was going to heat the switch if the light failed but To my surprise the light came on before I could do anything. I just checked it and it came on. It did warm up a lot during the day.

It has been about a month and I have not flown the plane however I go to the airport most every morning (especially if its really cold) to check the light and it had not failed again. It had been very cold here the last week and I have checked it every day. The only thing I have not done to try and prove out this cold theory is leave the door open overnight or something like that but it did fail that second time with the door closed.

I know the cold weather theory is a stretch but the switch is new, the wiring looks good and is mostly new.

I guess I will just have to get another new switch???

Any ideas?

Latest posts

Back