• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Aircraft shopping / Opinions /SE Piper

diamond

Reaction score
Looking to buy a SE PIPER. (I posted this previously as an attachment to another thread.)
I would like to get in on the receiving end of some of the opinions out there. I am a retired Naval Aviator and Airline Pilot (26K hrs.) and former Stinson 108-3 owner and CFI many years ago. (40 yrs. ago)
I "think" I am looking for an upgraded Archer 2/Dakota. I don't need a fast mover or X/C bird but an airplane for local daytime VFR mission to share the flight experience with friends; but also IFR system capable.
I would like good P&I, reasonable upgraded Panel, Autopilot, good engine/airframe times, Eng Monitor, ADS-B compliant out/IN, NDH/prefer fixed gear; In other words an airplane that is ready to go for me and that I could also sell easily in a couple years if appropriate. Probably 75 hrs/year would fit my mission.
I have looked at dozens of different planes over the last 4 years including the Cirrus, Commander 114, LSA etc. I have narrowed my mission down to the Archer. I've flown about100 hrs. in the DA-40, Commander 114, Lear 31A, and a few in the C-172 in the last 3 years and as a passenger in the Cirrus, Warrior, Aero Commander Twin.
Although renting is certainly an option, but for me the local fleet is pretty junky and I have been spoiled over the last 47 yrs. of flying nice equipment.
So, I would not only appreciate your thoughts (as I am not an expert in this arena) but also any aircraft that you know of that would be for sale to meet my mission.
Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas.
Bob

pipster

Doug Ryan, Fake Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey there Bob! Slow Sunday. PPL around here are really knowledgeable, and your $budget would probably help. Btw Capt, what'd you fly in the Navy?
I'm ex-Nav.

Last edited:

Yoke

Reaction score
Looking to buy a SE PIPER. (I posted this previously as an attachment to another thread.)
I would like to get in on the receiving end of some of the opinions out there. I am a retired Naval Aviator and Airline Pilot (26K hrs.) and former Stinson 108-3 owner and CFI many years ago. (40 yrs. ago)
I "think" I am looking for an upgraded Archer 2/Dakota. I don't need a fast mover or X/C bird but an airplane for local daytime VFR mission to share the flight experience with friends; but also IFR system capable.
I would like good P&I, reasonable upgraded Panel, Autopilot, good engine/airframe times, Eng Monitor, ADS-B compliant out/IN, NDH/prefer fixed gear; In other words an airplane that is ready to go for me and that I could also sell easily in a couple years if appropriate. Probably 75 hrs/year would fit my mission.
I have looked at dozens of different planes over the last 4 years including the Cirrus, Commander 114, LSA etc. I have narrowed my mission down to the Archer. I've flown about100 hrs. in the DA-40, Commander 114, Lear 31A, and a few in the C-172 in the last 3 years and as a passenger in the Cirrus, Warrior, Aero Commander Twin.
Although renting is certainly an option, but for me the local fleet is pretty junky and I have been spoiled over the last 47 yrs. of flying nice equipment.
So, I would not only appreciate your thoughts (as I am not an expert in this arena) but also any aircraft that you know of that would be for sale to meet my mission.
Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas.
Bob
Have you researched the Grumman Tiger? Being a prior military aviator, you might enjoy the sliding canopy. It has descent speed and endurance. Sporty and fun to fly

cappy48

Established Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
Merry Christmas.
Bob

Hi Bob!

Best advice I ever got is to get the aircraft that fulfills 85% of your mission..

From your post, looks like you are close with the Archer/Dak models.. I have a Warrior, but it is (very) rare we ever have back seat pax. With back seaters often the Archer is a better choice, especially if you live at elevations or have high terrain in your area. ..

The Dakota/ 235 models, they will haul a LOAD, high and hot.. with the associated fuel burn.. :)

Do the research in the possible issues in your purchase (SB 1006 etc.) and buy from a position of strength. LOTS of knowledgeable people here...

Welcome to the forum!

Cap

diamond

Reaction score
Hey there Bob! Slow Sunday. PPL around here are really knowledgeable, and your $budget would probably help. Btw Capt, what'd you fly in the Navy?
I'm ex-Nav.
I'm ex-Nav.

Pipster; A-7 - Retired Capt. - many yrs. ago.
Thanks for your post.
And yourself?

pipster

Doug Ryan, Fake Pilot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was an AIC and ASAC. 12 yrs west coast (1979-93). Lotsa smart people here.

diamond

Reaction score
Have you researched the Grumman Tiger? Being a prior military aviator, you might enjoy the sliding canopy. It has descent speed and endurance. Sporty and fun to fly
I haven't seriously looked at the Tiger. I have now looked at what's for sale.

Question? The 0-360 on the Archer vs the 0-540 on the Dakota looks like about a 4 to 5 gph difference in fuel burn. Does that sound about right? I like the fixed gear of the 2 airplanes; just less to worry about; both operationally and maintaining wise and I don't really need the extra performance.

Cappy48 - I'm not familiar with SB 1006?

Yoke

Reaction score

Question? The 0-360 on the Archer vs the 0-540 on the Dakota looks like about a 4 to 5 gph difference in fuel burn. Does that sound about right? I like the fixed gear of the 2 airplanes; just less to worry about; both operationally and maintaining wise and I don't really need the extra performance.

While I don’t have the specifics, the increased fuel burn in the Dakota not only provides increased speed but likely and increased useful load.

As SB1006, this is something I had done as part of the sale. Requires dropping the fuel tanks to inspect the wing spar for corrosion. While there, a corrosion preventative solution is applied.

Last edited:

bryris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dinitrol AV8. Its an orange fluid you basically paint onto the spar caps and some of the spar.

cappy48

Established Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hi Bob!

You are correct, the o-540 burns a lot of fuel.. But you can put 4 people in a Dak, plus baggage and 86 Gallons of fuel and probably fly it legally.

If that is NOT your mission, it is an expensive aircraft to operate. If your mission needs it, its a great aircraft. Probably the 4 seat aircraft of choice if you are hauling a load most of the time, or live where it is "high and hot" .

If you slow it down and let the big Lycoming loaf along, the fuel difference is much less...

SP 1006 requires removal of the fuel tanks every seven years to inspect for spar corrosion and to replace the rubber fuel tank vent hoses. It is a SB, not an AD. but almost all Piper operators consider it mandatory. (As does Piper)

At about 10 years, the fuel vent hoses are so brittle that they will often crumble when you try to remove them.

Spar corrosion is rarely found. BUT WHEN IT IS, the aircraft is usually junked. There is no known way to repair it economically. We had our tanks removed for painting OFF the airframe and reinstalled with structural SS screws. So this is now quick and easy. If the tanks have never been removed, it is a long, careful process to get the "painted on" screws out.

Most consider that there is absolutely no way they would purchase a Piper without doing a recent SB 1006 as part of the prebuy inspection.

Cheers!

Cap