• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Starting from Scratch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, Everyone-

I just joined the forum last week after doing some intensive thinking about starting to learn how to fly. I'm a 46 y/o government employee but will be shifting jobs late next year to takeover a family business. The change in jobs got me and my family thinking about the change in overall lifestyle, or more specifically, what I'd like that new lifestyle to be. The more I think about it, the more it seems a private pilot's certificate and a plane will help us realize our vision. I plan on starting training this coming fall once I've wrapped up my government career.

It may seem odd that I've already joined a make-specific forum prior to even going on a demo flight in a Piper, but I think Piper has a continuum of planes that make sense for my overall goals, and I wanted to familiarize myself with the ownership aspects well in advance of making a purchase. I'm also a car guy, and I really have come to appreciate the wealth of knowledge you find in make-specific car forums, so I think the real-world insights of current owners and fliers are invaluable. Plus, I just think Pipers look better than the competition. :)

So what's my overall goal? Eventually (5-6 years) to own a small single engine turboprop, perhaps an M500. The speed, range, reliability, lift capacity, and pressurization of a turboprop are all very attractive. I'll be living in Boise, ID, so a turboprop would allow non-stops to SoCal/AZ and one-stops to the East Coast, which are my primary anticipated missions. Here's what I see as a viable plan to get there:

- Late 2021 to mid 2022- Get PPC and IFR Rating (I imagine this will get me to c. 90-100 hours)

- Mid 2022- Buy a small non-HP / non-complex IFR-certified hour builder... thinking an Archer, but could go for something smaller. I don't plan on flying my wife or family much if at all while I'm building proficiency during this period. Aim for 120 hrs per year for the next couple of years to get to around 300-350 hrs by 2024.

- Mid 2024- Trade up to a HP / complex single. Continue to build hours and start using the plane to travel with family. A Turbo Saratoga seems like a good candidate. I like the idea of the turbo to deal with DA issues in the western mountains (particularly in the summer) and to allow me to get comfortable flying at higher altitudes. The Turbo Saratoga seems to have the range and capacity to make trips from KBOI to SoCal/AZ fast and comfortable, and trips to the East Coast would also come into play. Continue to aim for 120 hrs per year, to get somewhere between 500-600 hrs by 2026.

-Mid-2026- Do transition training and sim time, and then trade up to a single engine turboprop. By this point I'll be 52, and I'd expect I could use and enjoy the plane for the next 20 years.

Recognizing that no plan ever survives first contact, and that obviously there are a lot of steps left out, does this seem reasonable?

I'm looking forward to learning from everyone's expertise and experiences, and am eager for next fall so I can get into a cockpit.

Best,

-SU

Latest posts

Back