• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

PA-28 235 Purchase Advice Needed Please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I returned to flying back in June after a 35 year hiatus with the goal of getting current and purchase an aircraft. Back in the day (87-90), I flew Cherokee 180's, Citabria, 172 etc and the 180 was my favorite plane to fly. I decided back in June that I really wanted to get back into flying so thought I would jump back in and go full gusto - 25 hours of Cirrus transition training in a G6 SR20. It was a quite a return to the air but after some soul searching, I came to the realization that I really didn't ENJOY flying the Cirrus. I also am not partial at all to the side stick. An old service injury has left me fairly heavily right hand dominant and it's just - uncomfortable.

Next I thought I'd try a Diamond DA40/NG with the center stick. Nope. I'm a big guy 6' and 269 and just not fitting in the Diamond. So I joined a local flying club that has an Archer 2 (closest thing to a 180 I could find) and today went out for a couple of hours. I still can't wipe the grin off my face!!!! Loved it!! Wonderful flying characteristics and I fit in the cockpit and the Yoke was perfect. I'm not crazy about the useful load and the climb rate (I live in Las Vegas with high DA and heat). My wife is 130 and my 13 yo son is 6'2' and 215. Looks like I should be looking at a 235 or a 6. The extra speed would also be great - anything that gets me closer to the cruise number of an SR20 would be better.

What do you folks think? Advantages/disadvantages? I know the post 1973 235's have an extra 7 inches but I'm on a budget here lol.

Any help and advice would be most appreciated.

Latest posts

Back