• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

180 Purchase?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYFDX

Reaction score
Greetings,

I’m new to the site so bear with me. I’m looking at purchasing a 1968 180D that’s in my area. The airplane has been sitting for about 8 years. It has about 3000TT with 500 SMOH from Penn Yan with Chromium cylinders.

The compressions (cold) are in high 60s/mid 70s but realize this doesn’t mean a whole lot. I was able to get a bore scope and look into the cylinders, I couldn’t see any corrosion but I’m not an A&P. Realize the camshaft might be an issue. I haven’t had it running yet but a working on it; once I get a new battery I can go from there.

I have time mostly in the 160’s so wanted to get some general ideas of the pluses/minuses of the 180.

I guess I’m looking for any advice on how to proceed. I realize this is a pretty tall request. Also realize I should get a thorough pre-buy done.

It also has older avionics (KX155/KX170) so they will probably need to be updated, but it will not be cheap if I decide to go with Garmins and possibly can lose out if I decide to sell the plane in a few years.

Great info on this site, thanks for hearing me.

Fire away…

Latest posts

Back