• Become a Subscribing Member today!

PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots with over 1,500+ active members.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Why become a Subscribing Member?

• Swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts.
    • We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more.
    • In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Become a Subscribing Member and access PiperForum.com in full!

Subscribe Now

Cataract Surgery Coming up. Choice of Lens?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

1972 PA32-300
Reaction score
The eyeballs have finally reached maturity and I'm having cataract surgery next month. The current choice of "best" lens appears (no pun intended) to be the Light Adjustable Lens (LAR) which can be fine tuned after surgery using UV. That sounds pretty cool (but expensive: $5000 per eye). But the surgeon tells me that whether using LAR or standard lens, I have to select whether I want both lens to be for distant vision, or both for near, or one for distant and one for either near or halfway. If both set for distance, I'll likely need reading glasses. If one is close or halfway (called monovision) i may not need reading glasses, but he says some people do not adapt well. For flying, i would prefer not to have to wear cheaters to read chart or see the panel, but i sure like the idea of excellent distant vision. I have one pilot friend who choose one distant and one halfway and he had good result. Others have told me any version of monovision is terrible. I'm looking for other pilot's with experience on this. Thoughts?

Latest posts

Back