• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Prop question -- Arrow IV

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EchoDelta

Reaction score
Looks like we will need to get a new prop for our NA Arrow IV. It still has the original McCauley 2-blade prop, which has served us well but which is well past TBO. Unfortunately, when it was last overhauled we were told by the prop shop that is was at the edge of tolerances in a couple of areas, and could not be overhauled again.

I have no interest in going to a 3-blade prop, but I would like to go with a more modern design. The prop that I'm looking at is this 2-blade scimitar from Hartzell:
https://www.knots2u.net/piper-pa-28r-propeller-2-blade-hartzell-scimitar-ppi-28/
According to the Knots2U site, the STC for this prop covers our NA Arrow IV with its Lycoming IO-360-C1C6 engine. However, according to the Hartzell application guide the only Arrow models that can use this prop are the PA-28R-180 and PA-28R-200.

So, I have a few questions for NA Arrow III and -IV owners, and/or prop experts in the forum community:
  • Has anyone put this Hartzell prop on an Arrow III or -IV?
  • Will we be able to use our existing spinner and associated hardware (which are all in perfect condition) with this prop?
  • Our prop governor is also original, and should be either overhauled or replaced. In general, is there inter-compatibility between props and governors from different manufacturers? In other words, will we need a governor specifically designed for this particular prop, or for Hartzell props in general?
  • Is it reasonable to assume that the purchase price for the prop also includes the STC for it?

Latest posts

Back