• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

When was the Cherokee 180 Stretched?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Reaction score
Rather than clutter another thread where this issue was tangentially discussed I thought I'd bring it up in a new post. I'm looking at a share in a 1972 Cherokee G model and one of my concerns were the tighter back seats of the older Cherokees. I currently fly a 1968 Cherokee 140 and the back seat is pretty darn tight. But the 72' 180 I looked at had what I thought was more room in the backseat than the 67' 140 that I fly. it also had a baggage door and baggage compartment which might be significant or not.

I always thought the entire Cherokee line was stretched in 1973 but the owner told me that the 72' was the first year of the stretch. While its not likely that I'll be sitting in the back seat I do want pax to be comfortable on longer XC trips.

So I did some research that has me a bit confused. As I said I thought the entire line was stretched in 73' but Wiki has some confusing info. It reports that indeed the Cherokee was stretched in 73' by 5 inches but then said the Arrow was stretched in 72' and then said later that the "Archer" was stretched in 72' but I thought the plane was not called the Archer until 74'.

Can anyone shed light on When or how often the Cherokee line ( in particular the Cherokee 180) was stretched and by how much? Was it stretched more than once?

Latest posts

Back