• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

What's the first thing you did as a new aircraft owner?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BaywayEscape

Reaction score
I figured since I've been dealing with the the compass issue, (among other things you guys don't even want to know about), and figuring out other issues that I will eventually address, I'd lighten it up a bit and ask. What's some of the first things you did after you bought your very first airplane. Kinda funny. Here's mine since I'm about as new as they come.

1. Made 5 sets of keys. I dunno why, but I instinctively did. (yes, even that one key that doesn't do anything…Made that one too.)

2.Wrote some checks to people.

3. Polished the entire plane by hand. (Hey, I learned a ton about the airplane and it looked great after I was finished. Any screws or hardware that was missing was noted, and extra care was taken not to gumb anything important up.) After that, I promptly drove straight to the hardware store and picked up an electric polisher/buffer because I am NEVER doing that crap by hand EVER again. Holy moly..

4.Wrote some checks to people.

5. Joined a forum!!

6.Wrote some checks to people.

7. Had a Reiff installed. (So much for Global Warming) I'm ready for a trip south!! Enough of this already! And go figure..sub zero temps before Reiff, balmy after completion, lol!

8. Ordered new checks

9. Bought enough soft cloths to clean my plastic and every other person's plastic on the entire field for awhile. (side note..someone once told me I could use pledge to clean the bug juice off the leading edge of the airplane and it was also good on plastic. I didn't try it on the plastic but what's your guys take on that???)

10.Said, "screw the checks," and left a credit card on file. (it's just easier)
…for everybody,lol

I probably missed a dozen or so other things that are in the works but the weirdest part about all of this is that I'm having a good time doing it. I know, give it a while and I'll change my tune, but for now, I'm actually ok with it all. I'm learning all kinds of new stuff. I could never touch my toes before and now I can grab my ankle's without even stretching first. It's amazing, lol!! So what did you seasoned vet's do?

Latest posts

Back