• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Used Metco Tip Tanks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
I've seen a number of used Metco tip tanks for sale... anywhere from $1500 to $4000.

Metco want's $500 to re STC them *but* seems a bit squirrelly on things.. be it from rust on the filler port, to the condition of the fiberglass to the age of the checkvalve. Supposedly the checkvalves are $500 each.

As such, any used purchase to me seemed like a roll of the dice without Metco's prior blessing. I even offered a seller asking price if they followed through with the STC re-certification requirements for me (I paid for the new paperwork). All of them got cold at that point.

As a number of you have metco's just wondered if this was worth the bother. $10K for new one's is a non-starter for me although I am still considering just the horner's which Metco will re-STC sight unseen. But my thinking is since I have to take a risk in peeling back my boots, I might as well go for it all.

Anyone been here before or can talk about the degradation of the Metco tips they seem to be so concerned about?

Latest posts

Back