• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Re-learning to land in my Aztec - Metco tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff K

Reaction score
After I put my metco tips on the aztec I went from a plane I could consistent do greasers in into a plane I'm bouncing on landing and even once did a crow hop on (first ever in my flying career). It's floating on landings quite a bit now. Obviously the numbers have gone down.

I did hold it off above the runway once as long as I could, glanced down and saw I was just a touch above 50mph before it thumped down hard. Not a landing I want to repeat however.

I have practiced some at altitude but once I hit 60mph (a little below the white arc) I got nervous and didn't take it all the way to a stall. I had very good command authority at that point.

So I've got Metco Tips, flap gap seals and vortex generators. The tips were the last to go on and made the difference.

Besides trial and error, does anyone else here have metco tips and if so what numbers do they use or at least the offset. I'm of course thinking slower but also made with a touch of power? Previously I was doing closed throttle landings.

The other thing I've noticed is I no longer have to "pull it off" the ground at 80mph.... it's more then ready to go which requires me to hold it down until I hit blue line with a bit more authority. I'm thinking in both instances I'm just getting alot more ground effect now.

P.S. One interesting thing I noticed.... with the VG's I'd get a noticeable shudder right before it was done flying... I still get the shudder but it doesn't seem done flying. I wish I had better numbers but the eyes are outside the cockpit when I am landing. But it's definitely slower now... so perhaps just bump all my approach speeds down a bit?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back