• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Upgrade advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey folks, hoping to learn from some of you experience pilots and airplane owners. I am a new owner of a PA-28R-201T, got just over 20 hours in it and so far it has been a great plane. I am contemplating some upgrades and wanted to get some recommendations on which to prioritize and what components I can get more life out of. If there has been one thing I’ve learned thus far, is that avionics upgrades can get crazy expensive, so really looking to get my priorities straight, make the most of what I have and make certain any upgrades one that provide significant benefits.

Just a few details on the plane itself. It has steam gauges, EDM-700, dual MAC1700’s, a KLN-90B (VRF only) linked with an Argus 3000, the Century IIIB AP for roll and a STEC system 60 PSS AP for pitch.

Upgrade Primary Instruments – considering replacing the steam gauges with dual Gi275’s. I can see a lot of benefit removing the aging gauges, like the altimeter (which almost didn’t pass the IFR cert), and having glass gauges that will enhance safety, especially in IMC (I’m currently in IR training). The other aspect I was considering is with the KLN-90B, while not a great GPS, by linking it to the Gi275’s, it could be used for IFR and allow me to save on upgrading the GPS for a while. One down side to removing the vacuum system is the pump was just replaced.

Upgrade GPS – Considering the KLN-90B is old and currently only VFR capable (upgrading to IFR requires a compatible EFIS/CDI and required annunciators), upgrading the GPS and going with either an IFD440 or GTN650 would give me WAAS GPS capabilities and upgrade a nav/com (can keep the old one as backup).

Upgrade Engine Instruments – The current JPI EDM-700 works well, but it does not have at present fuel flow, manifold pressure or tachometer. I’ve been in contact with JPI and for $1000, I can add fuel flow and tach (MP is not supported). The other option is to go with an EDM-900 and replace the old gauges. Two things I am factoring is first the tach is starting to fail, it reads exponentially low (100-200 RPM’s low, reads lower at higher RPM’s), it will need to be replaced in the near future. Second, adding fuel flow is important to me so I have an accurate measure of fuel consumption and to verify my power settings. Not sure if its better to replace the mechanical tach with a new Mitchel tach and add the fuel flow and RPM's to the EDM-700, or bit the bullet now and go straight to the EDM-900.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Latest posts

Back