• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Opinions on panel layout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick G

1977 Lance P32R-300
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been putting together my master plan for how to evolve my panel gradually. I would like some opinions on placement.

Equipment:
(right to left)

Keeping my glove box.
AirGizmo dock for iPad mini
Avidyne IFD-540. Integrated transponder and ADS-B.
KX-155 navcom 2

1. Engine monitor is currently EDM-700. Looking to upgrade to EDM-830. I like the lower right location because it fits naturally with power management being close to the levers.

2. I see no reason to change out the analog glide slope. It works. But not sure if this is the best location or not. Is this the standard location? Or would it make more sense to put it on the lower left?

3. Dual AV-30c's. It looks like I'm headed in this direction because (a) I already have one, and (b) It looks like the Aerocruz will fully integrate with AV-30c now. And (c) I like the round gauge look, while still being glass.
The AV-30 heading / HSI would be connected to Nav/Com2 KX-155. It also supports GPS track, but I don't believe it will be certified to for the Avidyne's glideslope.

4. Where to put the autopilot? I don't like taking my hand off the yoke or changing hands to adjust the autpilot. I also want it to be in plain view. I'm not sure if this location makes sense, or should the autopilot be on the upper right?

AV-20 on the far left acts as an attitude backup. When I get the autopilot installed I will use a switch to change source, so the autpilot can use either AV-30. I have a personal requirement that all units must work independently and have an independent backup. The idea of automatic fail-over seems great, but if you've been around technology as long as I have, you'd think twice about trusting yours and your family's life to automation. For me, I need manual physical switch override for everything. The AV-30s can switch modes between AI and direction on the ground. So it would not be a trip cancelling event to lose one of them.

The location of the current autopilot would be a blank. I plan to rig up some kind of mount for my phone so that I can charge it and connect to audio for music without stringing wires everywhere.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks

1701536583026.png

Alternate layout:

1701538113635.png

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back