• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $19.99/year or $3.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Thinking about selling 1973 Cherokee 140

kamelonu

Reaction score
Hey yall, I am thinking about selling my cherokee 140. Vref said it could be worth as much as 45k only about 700 SMOH is IFR but only with VOR. glideslope broke so I replaced it with just VOR but it has current TX and ALTstatic checks. New ELT new TX with ADSB out. newer audio panel. Its main problem is the paint isnt the best. Any thoughts? Someone told me to list it for close to 50k I thought that was a little high.

ikaros61

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
$45k ?? Whoa. I sold my Cherokee 140 for $15,500 5 years ago with brand new paint job, new interior about 1,000 hours on the engine. The bottom line is prices are crazy these days and my point you will get what the market is. So list it for $45k and see. Please Let us know how it goes.

Flying_Monkey

Reaction score
you can probably get 60k for it in this market. LOL

but if you're upgrading to another plane, it will be a painful search....

kju1pitt

CFI ASEL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless you are quitting flying or already have a second plane dont do it! You can, as was pointed out, probably get 60k but good luck finding something else to fly that isnt vastly over priced.

bryris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
$45k ?? Whoa. I sold my Cherokee 140 for $15,500 5 years ago with brand new paint job, new interior about 1,000 hours on the engine. The bottom line is prices are crazy these days and my point you will get what the market is. So list it for $45k and see. Please Let us know how it goes.
You gave it away. A new paint job alone, 5 years ago, cost 10k. Core on a worn out engine is worth 5k.

bryris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no intention of selling my 140, but I think in this market it would bring in the mid to high 60's at least. 5,500TT, about 1,000 SMOH (engine fully torn down and IRAN'ed about 60 hours ago), 7/10 paint, 9/10 interior, TruTrak Vizion autopilot, Avidyne IFD440, 160HP STC with brand new PowerFlow system, and Laminar Flow wheel pants.

Even if I sold it in this market, I'd still be upside down!! lol.

ikaros61

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
You gave it away. A new paint job alone, 5 years ago, cost 10k. Core on a worn out engine is worth 5k.
For sure I did but the only thing that makes me feel a little better about it is that I got a great great deal on my Arrow which makes up for it with today’s crazy prices so it’s all good for me.

Latest posts