• PiperForum.com is a vibrant community of Piper owners and pilots. Our over 1,500+ active members use Piper Forum to swap technical knowledge, plan meetups and sell planes/parts. We host technical knowledge of general aviation topics and specific topics on J3-Cubs, Cherokees, Comanches, Pacers and more. In addition to an instant community of pilots for you, PiperForum.com is a library of technical topics, airplane builds, images, technical manuals, technical documents and more.

Access to PiperForum.com is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of Piper knowledge.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access PiperForum.com in Full!

Surface Corrosion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Making progress on stripping paint and getting ready for new paint. Rigged up a set of "main mounts" to go along with the refurbished nose strut/wheel so I could get underneath to strip. Found this corrosion down the port side, front to almost out to the tail cone; strange that it's only on the one side. Was reviewing the log books last night and found an entry in 2005 "cleaned corrosion on belly and painted." Before I stripped the paint I didn't see any evidence of corrosion lying underneath. I was about to buy a soda blaster to work on it and then saw where that is good way to remove paint but may not be the best route for corrosion removal. No deep pitting, but discoloration/stain. I contacted the guys at Sherwin Williams Aerospace that taught the painting class I took to see what they have to say. I'm sure some of you have experienced this, what approach did you take to get it ready for prime/paint? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Corrosion 1.jpg
    Corrosion 1.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 58
  • Corrosion 2.jpg
    Corrosion 2.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Corrosion 4.jpg
    Corrosion 4.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 55

Latest posts

Back